My Top 5 National Parks

Hello everyone! Today is the last day of National Park Week! If you did not know, National Park Week starts on Earth Day and is a week to share your love for the National Parks! You can see the posts I made for National Park Week on my instagram @mountain.dreaming

As National Park Week comes to a close, I wanted to share my top 5 favorite National Parks. For each Park, I will share my favorite hike, favorite non-hike, and a favorite memory. 
  1. Grand Teton, Wyoming
    • Favorite Hike: Cascade Canyon (9.1 Miles) 
      My favorite spot along Cascade Canyon

    • Favorite Non-hike: Scenic float trip on Snake River

    • Favorite memory: On our first trip to Grand Teton in 2020, Evan and I thought it would be a good idea to hike to Lake Solitude in one day. We had never hiked before and did not know what we were getting ourselves into. We started at 7 in the morning and did not make it to the lake until 1 in the afternoon. I remember I was so tired and getting frustrated at other hikers passing us and saying, “You’re almost there!” for what felt like had been miles. I had mentally given up, my feet hurt so bad, and Evan had to literally pull me across the grassy field to finally see the lake. Did I mention this hike was a total of 14.7 miles and the last half mile to the lake was a 20% grade? Our day ended at the hotel room at 8 in the evening.
      Me enjoying a rest on the hammock by Lake Solitude

  2. Galcier, Montana
    • Favorite Hike: Avalanche Lake (5.9 Miles) 
      Beautiful view at the end of the trail

    • Favorite Non-hike: Kayking on Lake McDonald

    • Favoite memory: Another great idea turned bad…the day we got to Glacier happened to be the same day that the main road to Logan’s Pass finally opened. It was July, but Glacier still had a lot of snow when we got there. There was one hike at Logan’s Pass that we really wanted to do, Hidden Lake. What should have been an “easy to moderate” hike was one of the hardest hikes we have ever done. The trail was covered in feet of snow and all up hill. One mistep and you were going to slide all the way back down the hill. We watched fellow hikers slipping and sliding the whole way up and even saw a few fall. It was neat to watch some hikers use their coats as sleds to slide back down though.
      Evan posing on the snow covered Hidden Lake Trail

  3. Yellowstone, Wyoming
    • Favorite Hike: Both times we have been to Yellowstone we did not do any of the hikes. There are two short “trails” that give you an up close view of the the Lower Falls (0.7 miles) and the Upper Falls (0.3 miles) in Canyon Village that we really enjoyed. 
      Brink of the Lower Falls

      Brink of Upper Falls

    • Favorite Non-hike: Grand Canyon of Yellowstone Overlook

    • Favorite Memory: On our second trip to Wyoming in 2021, we brought Evan’s parents with us. On our first day to Yellowstone, we pulled off at a random spot that we thought was a restroom. It turned out to be a picnic area that had a short boadwalk trail along the river called LeHardys Rapids. The water was so loud and beautiful and Evan’s mom was crying. We asked her why she was crying and she said, “I just can’t help but think, if this place is so beautiful, then how beautiful heaven must be.” 
      LeHardys Rapids

  4. Zion, Utah
    • Favorite Hike: Angel’s Landing (4.4 Miles)
    • Favorite Non-hike: Driving Mount Caramel Highway 

    • Favorite Memory: Angel’s Landing is one of the hardest, but most rewarding hikes we have ever done. There are a lot of switchbacks and the infamous Walter’s Wiggles made me want to turn around more than the narrow, chain section of the trail did. The view from the top and seeing how far we climbed was worth the challenge in the end. 
      Evan and me top of Angel’s Landing

  5. Rocky Mountain, Colorado 
    • Favorite Hike: Bear Lake to Dream Lake to Emerald Lake (3.0 miles)
      Dream Lake

    • Favorite Non-Hike: Driving the one-way Old Fall River Road to the Alpine Visitor Center
      One of my favorite views from Old Fall River Road

    • Favorite memory: It was a colder day when we drove up Old Fall River Road and it was especially cold when we got to the top. It truly is “the little things in life” as one of my favorite memories was sharing a bowl of chicken noodle soup to warm us up and observing a group of elk from the cafe window.


      I hope you enjoyed reading about my Top 5 Favorite National Parks! Be sure to check out my instagram @mountain.dreaming to hear more about them!

Comments

  1. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog made me feel like I was at each place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun way to celebrate National Park Week. My top 3 parks are Arches, Channel Islands, and Rocky Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Channel Islands we have not been to. Hopefully one day!

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful parks and photos!! We really are blessed to have so much natural beauty to explore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! America is a beautiful country for sure!

      Delete
  5. Galcier and Zion look like 2 places I would like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They are two parks that are definitely easy to navigate too!

      Delete
  6. We are always looking for new National Parks to visit. Sadly we missed both Grand Teton and Glacier National Parks when we were in those areas. I do like the idea of visiting in the winter for a different experience. And we will take any opportunity to get out on the water!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading your experience about your first hike in Grand Teton made me chuckle because I had the exact same experience on my first hike in Utah! I can laugh about it now, but I was not laughing at the time! Glad you made it back out and have been brave enough to do other hikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rocky Mountain + Grand Teton are two of my favorite national parks too! <3 Hoping to go to Glacier sometime (+ all the others as well someday! :D )!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being an East Coast gal, I haven’t been to many of these yet, but I have been to Zion & loved it! Can’t wait to get to Yellowstone some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see Yellowstone real soon!

      Delete
  10. Very good article. I still need to go to more but went to see mighty 5 a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a lovely post! I appreciate that some of your favourite memories were of type 2 fun! It is often the things that were hardest at the time that end up being fun to look back on eh!?

    I have a feeling you will LOVE the national parks up in Canada too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing! I love to hike so knowing other's experiences is always useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love sharing our experiences with others!

      Delete
  14. Rocky Mountain and Grand Teton are high up on my list. I'd add Acadia to my top 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acadia is number 6 on my list! Maybe I will write a top 10! :D

      Delete
  15. Absolutely wonderful! I would love to see these National Parks one day - greetings Martina from https://www.placesofjuma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Hope you make it out to these parks!

      Delete
  16. All these National Parks look stunning! I'd love to spend more time exploring National Parks in the US and this list is a great place to start! Kayking on Lake McDonald looks magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you keep this post in mind for your future trip planning!

      Delete
  17. All of these are at the top of my list. Beautiful photos. I love that you included a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm dying to visit some of these - especially Grand Teton!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always wanted to try hiking in Yellowstone and Zion Park. I’m not a hiker, but you and your husband encouraged me to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this comment makes me so happy. :) I hope you find a love for hiking!

      Delete
  20. This looks like such a good selection of spots... I especially love your hike vs non-hike bits! it's good to know that there are still options even if we aren't in the feels for a hike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Anyone can enjoy the national parks! Hiker or not! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think!

Popular Posts